Oats are my favourite breakfast option and I have them in some form almost every single day. Most mornings I simply pour them into a bowl with some plant milk and an array of toppings. But I do like a nice warming porridge as well, particularly in winter. This particular porridge is at the top of my go-to list when I am craving a savoury option. I don’t only love porridge this in winter but make it year-round. It is the perfect way to top up my veggie intake and start the day with filling breakfast.
I created this recipe a few years ago when the ‘zoats’ trend was in full swing. To make this meal, I just added some random ingredients together and hoped for the best. Luckily it all worked out for the best, as this dish is beautifully creamy, fresh and slightly salty. Since then, it has become a staple in my kitchen that I return all the time. It is quick enough to make before work, but I often make it for a lazy dinner as well.
Before I share the recipe, can we just take a little moment to appreciate that this is my first ever recipe post? As you could have read in my 19 before 2019 post from last week, I was slightly nervous about posting recipes on my blog. Even though my first recipe on here is quite simple, I am proud I bit the bullet.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes Serves: 1
1 small chopped onion
1 grated courgette
½ cup of oats
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of tamari (or soy sauce)
1 sundried tomato (I use oil-free ones)
1 teaspoon of tahini
- Start by adding the chopped onion to a small saucepan with a dash of water. Sauté the onions for a few minutes or until glazy.
- Add the courgette, oats and water and bring the whole to a boil. Once the porridge starts boiling, turn of the heat completely.
- Keep stirring the porridge for another minute or until creamy. Stirring is essential to avoid a clumpy, dry porridge!
- Before serving, stir in the sundried tomato and tamari.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl, drizzle over the tahini and enjoy!
This recipe is really as simple as it looks. What makes it so special is the flavour combinations that just works! I don’t have zoats any other way anymore and I recommend giving this version a try. I promise, it won’t disappoint!