Quitting Instagram and choosing life

quitting Instagram and choosing life

I have chosen to quit Instagram. Completely. For most – I even presume all – of you, this might come as a surprise. You probably didn’t even realise I had an Instagram account to begin with. Well, I actually used to have two accounts. A private account where I shared pictures with my friends and a public one where I shared pictures of my meals. When I started my blog, I synced my public account to my blog. But by that time I had already stopped sharing pictures. (Which is why you probably didn’t know I had an Instagram account.) And now I have deleted both accounts completely. Here are the reasons I decided to quit Instagram.

Living Slow

In the last couple of months, I have been trying to live a more authentic life. And at the moment, my version of authenticity means slow. Very slow. I have been creating a space in my life when I can just be. Where life can unfold without goals or plans or to-do lists. It hasn’t been easy – because our world, of course, is anything but slow -, but I have been trying. The one thing that kept tainting my progress with living slow was Instagram. Because Instagram is not slow. That was the first reason I decided to quit.

Letting go of comparison

I consume content on various different platforms. Blogs, newspapers, magazines, YouTube, Netflix and Spotify. And these platforms serve me. I am able to follow and read about the amazing work other people are doing. I am able to get inspired, touched, uplifted and informed. Many of the ways in which we humans communicate with each other are highly beneficial to me. But Instagram is not one of them. With this particular social medium, I used to constantly get pulled into the dark hole better known as the ‘explore tab’. Even if I tried to just look at the posts of my friends or those I enjoyed following, the temptation to scroll through endless pictures of inspiring yoga girls was too big. And so every time I left Instagram, I felt deflated in my sense of self-worth. Letting go of comparison anxiety was reason number two to quit Instagram.

Growing authentically

The last reason I decided to quit Instagram has to do with my blog. At the end of 2018, I had already deleted my personal Instagram account. But I kept my public account with the idea that one day I might need it to grow my blog. Having an active social media presence (particularly on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest) is paramount to increasing your blog readership. I know that. Since I didn’t have any of the other platforms – other than Facebook Messenger – I felt I needed to keep Instagram as a strategic marketing move. But as I have been honing in on the type of presence I want to create online, I realised that growing my blog quickly – through a medium, I don’t enjoy – doesn’t sit right with me. Once I had made that realisation, I was finally able to cut all Instagram ties.

It has been a few months now living without Instagram completely and I haven’t regretted my decision a single bit. I feel lighter and firmer grounded in life at the same time. Life isn’t perfect. Or picture perfectly slow. But my main source of fast-paced anxiety has been removed from my life. And I think that is worth a lot.

What is your relationship with Instagram?

14 Comments

1. March 4, 2019 / 4:53 pm

I love Instagram for the connections I’ve made there and for the friends I’ve met, which has been really valuable because I’m an expat in Cairo and it’s not easy to find likeminded friends here when you’re working from home too 🙂 In any case, I don’t think it drives much traffic to my blog in relation to the hours I spend on there.. Your post has definitely made me think. I don’t think I could quit IG, but I definitely could spend less time on there and focus on other platforms that would actually grow my audience easier.
    Dee recently posted…A Weekend at Conrad Cairo [Hotel Review]My Profile

• Lizzyfied
      Author
      March 4, 2019 / 6:40 pm

That is so nice! I definitely know a lot of people for whom Instagram is a really positive tool to connect, so I can completely understand how it could be for you as well. I think everyone will have to decide for themselves which platforms (if any) they feel good about using.

2. Cecilia
    March 5, 2019 / 2:58 pm

I don’t have Instagram & have never even looked at it! I’ve wondered what I’m missing out on when I read how people are posting on it. But, I also think it’s just the newest ‘Facebook’ & something else will come along & then the next thing, etc. I’m considering taking a break from Facebook for awhile. I tend to spend too much time (in my opinion) on it scrolling mindlessly & not getting a sufficient amount of positivity from it to warrant that amount of time. I’d rather spend that time listening to podcasts or watching informational/motivational YouTube. I think you have to do what is right for YOU. I really admire & support your decision to live authentically & take the time you need to live SLOW. I came across your blog & I’m able to follow without Instagram – others will too.

• Lizzyfied
      Author
      March 5, 2019 / 7:26 pm

How cool is it that you never had Instagram? I completely agree that listening to good podcasts or watching inspiring videos on YouTube is much more fulfilling than endless scrolling, which is a big reason why I quit Instagram.

Thank you for the encouragement! I feel really good about living more slowly recently, so I really appreciate the words of encouragement. <3

3. March 5, 2019 / 7:23 pm

I’ve always felt that the Instagram crowd is not long-lasting. There’s no place for slow consumption there at all. It’s completely focused on the “waan van de dag” (as are many — if not all — other social media). Good decision, I don’t think you’ll miss it.

• Lizzyfied
      Author
      March 6, 2019 / 8:05 am

Ah yes, the lack of slow consumption. That is a really nice way of putting it!

4. March 5, 2019 / 8:43 pm

And now, I debate quitting Facebook for the second time – for all the same excellent reasons as you quit IG. I feel like I “need” it so that people will see my blog posts. But, they can subscribe, right?
    Hmmmm.

• Lizzyfied
      Author
      March 6, 2019 / 8:04 am

Haha, I know the struggle! Perhaps setting some clear boundaries helps, if you don’t feel that quitting Facebook is the right option?

• March 7, 2019 / 2:00 pm

Perhaps. But “boundaries” and “social media” don’t strike me as things that go together very well 🙂

• Lizzyfied
          Author
          March 7, 2019 / 7:05 pm

Haha, good point! Looks like taking a break from Facebook seems like a good option for you 🙂

5. Suzi
    March 6, 2019 / 11:39 am

I’ve used IG infrequently but definitely became overwhelmed by FB. I felt the same empty and self-defeating feelings after spending time on FB. I would fully believe the unrealistic portrayals of people’s lives and find my own extremely lacking. But time and time again, after speaking with the live versions, the true story behind the post would come out. A fight five minutes before loving family photo or actual dislike for person they were standing next to in such glory. I felt better served by not participating in FB. I have felt lighter, less critical of myself, and have more time for positive influences. Thank you for your post and the connection that I am not alone in my viewpoint.

• Lizzyfied
      Author
      March 6, 2019 / 6:44 pm

It is so refreshing to hear people with similar views on social media. Thank you for sharing your experience with Facebook, Suzi!

6. March 6, 2019 / 3:42 pm

Mooi hoe je de vergelijking maakt met andere platformen die jou echt iets bieden, in tegenstelling tot Instagram.
    Dat je de keuze maakt om niet via een platform waar je zelf niet gelukkig van wordt een groter publiek te kunnen trekken vind ik heel mooi. Ik kan me ook goed voorstellen dat je Instagram eerder wel aanhield om die reden. Maar ik vind het leuk om te lezen dat het jou goed doet nu je geen Instagram meer hebt! 🙂
    Oh en mijn relatie met Instagram, we zijn al jaren uit elkaar, en daar ben ik heel blij mee haha! 😉 Ik herken de verleiding om meegesleurd te raken en het voelde heel onbevredigend voor mij.

Trouwens, ik ben dit weekend begonnen met de introductie Vipassena meditatie. Ik probeer er nu elke dag even tijd voor te nemen, ik ben heel benieuwd hoe het verder zal gaan. Liefs!

• Lizzyfied
      Author
      March 6, 2019 / 6:52 pm

Bedankt voor je lieve reactie! Wat goed dat je al jaren geleden bent gestopt met Instagram, nadat je erachter kwam dat het voor jou niet werkte.

Super leuk dat je bent begonnen met Vipassana meditatie. Hopelijk brengt het je iets! <3